Saturday 3 September 2016


The formation of Biggleswade FC in the summer brought the number of Senior Non-League clubs in the Bedfordshire town to three with Biggleswade Town members of the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier (Step 3) and Biggleswade United members of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division (Step 5).

Biggleswade FC were placed in the SSMFL Division One - they are a continuation of the highly succesful Biggleswade Town FC under 18 side who have now broken away from their parent club but have arranged a ground-share at the The Carlsberg Stadium.

Going into this game Buckingham Athletic had made a good start to their season winning their first three games before narrowly losing to Kensington Borough in their fourth game.  This was Biggleswade's third game and they had won their first two 2-1 at home to Hillingdon Borugh and 0-1 away to Southall.

Buckingham took an early lead in the game when they broke quickly (it caught me out on camera duties) and from then on it was succession of chances for Biggleswade who played some very impressive football - their passing and movement from midfield to forward line was brilliant - they played football the right way - How Buckingham Athletic came in at half time still 0-1 up was combination of a little bit of luck and excellent goalkeeping on their part. There was some controversy when the home side were denied a penalty kick despite loud appeals and then only a few seconds later one of their players was booked for a strong challenge on the keeper.

One of the home supporters made comment that if it was a boxing match it would of been stopped by now but credit must be given to the visitors who kept their shape in defence until a mistake between the keeper and a defender allowed the home to get a well deserved eqauliser and then only moments later another mistake allowed the forward to nip in and make it 2-1.

Buckingham equalised from a header from a free kick and it looked like they were going to take a point from the game only for the home side to win it right on 90 minutes with a header from a cross from the right hand - it was a scrappy goal - probably their scrappiest chance of the afternoon but they all count and I would say even the most ardent of Buckingham Athletic supporters amongst the crowd of 50 would say the home side deserved the victory from their dominance of play, chances created and possession of the football.

Keinan Davies moved from the then Biggleswade Town u18 side last season and has since starred for the Championship side's youth team and U23 side. I would say there are possibly one or two more players who could easily step up a few levels playing for Biggleswade FC this season and club's scouts will need to give them a watch over the next few months - They will be there or thereabouts at the top of the table at the business end of the season in my opinion.

Biggleswade FC travel to Broadfield United in the league tomorrow before a double against Brimsdown. At home in the league on Saturday 10th September and away in the Division One Cup on Monday 12th September. The Swans host Baldock Town tomorrow before going to Hatfield Town in the D1C on Tuesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment