Sunday, 12 July 2015


There were lots of local teams in pre-season action over the weekend. Here we look at the Ryman Premier Division teams who were in action -

The Geoff Harvey Memorial Tournament took place on Saturday and Sunday featuring Metropolitan Police, Tooting and Mitcham United, Hampton and Richmond Borough and Corinthian Casuals. In the first game on Saturday The Terrors won 3-0 versus The Met thanks to goals from Billy Marshall (2) and Gareth Chendlik. Tooting goalkeeper Adam Faith saved a penalty during the game. In the second game Hampton & Richmond Borough won 1-0 versus Casuals with a late goal - I am unsure of the scorer at this time of writing.

 Today Casuals played the Met in the 3rd/4th place game with Diego Maradona scoring the only goal of the game!! He is Brazilian (not Argentian) and was making his debut for the club today. In the final Tooting played Hampton with the final score being 3-3. The Terrors won on penalty kicks 4-3. 

Grays Athletic visited National League South side Bishops Stortford and came back from 2-0 down after 26 minutes to record a decent 2-3 win thanks to goals from Kenny Beaney, Bradley Tomlinson and Brian Moses. Billy Lobjoit and Elliot Buchanan were on target for the hosts.

Wingate and Finchley ran in nine goals versus Hertford Town who got two. Billy Healey, Ayrton Coley, Jack Read (3), Danny Hart (2) and Lee Barney (2) were the scorers for W&F.

Staines Town recorded a 0-2 win at Burnham with goals from Patrick Cox and Luke Wanadio - this follows on from their 0-5 victory versus Tooting and Mitcham earlier in the week. Wanadio and Cox were on target in this game as well alongside Michael Kalu, Terence Vancouten and Prince M'Bengui.

Canvey Island entertained National League South side Dartford who recorded a 0-2 win via goals from George Sykes and Yemi Oguneumi.

A good crowd of 764 saw German side Altona go in 0-5 up at half time against Dulwich Hamlet. Gavin Rose made numerous changes on the hour which saw the XI that had started their first pre-season game against Peterbrough United on Wednesday introduced. The South London side dominated from then on and the game finished 3-5 with Albert Jarrett (2) and Ashley Carew. Their game against League One side on Wednesday evening saw the return of Erhun Oztumer to Champion Hill - this game ended 2-3 with Matt Drage and Nyren Clunis scoring. This game saw another really impressive attendance of 737 people.

Lewes made the short trip to Division One (South) side Peacehaven and Telscombe and came away with a good 0-3 win in what was a very competitive game with six bookings given. James Fraser, Elliott Levy and Jon Marzetti (scoring against his former club) hit the net for The Rooks. Levy came through the ranks at Brighton & HA and was with Eastbourne Borough and Division One (South) side Worthing last season.   

Tonbridge Angels welcomed League One side Gillingham to Longmead with both teams and the crowd of 796 leading a fitting tribute to Juinor Dian prior to the game. Midfielder Tom Phipp, signed from Margate, was very impressive for The Angels and I predict him to be one of the stand out players in the division this season. Luke Norris and John Egan scored for the football league side in a 1-2 win with Tom Pearson scoring for The Angels.

Leatherhead travelled to Southern Counties East League side Corinthian with new signing (ex of Margate and Bath City) Phil Walsh making an instant impact scoring a hat-trick in a 1-3 win.

Kingstonian began their pre-season campaign with a 0-0 draw away at Division One (South) side Whyteleafe with Ricky Sappleton and a few others making their debuts for The K's. They have a much anticipated game against a Chelsea XI at Kingsmeadow on Monday evening.

Billericay Town won 0-2 at Thurrock with former Enfield Town plater Joe Ellul getting on the score sheet.

Nine of the team that won the Division One (South) title for Burgess Hill Town started their game against League Two side Northampton Town. The game ended 0-0.

Farnborough lost 0-4 at home to Slough Town.

Hendon played Northwood at Silver Jubilee Park in game which saw Mark Kirby return to playing in a green shirt after his successful spell at Enfield Town. Gary McCann's side won 4-1 with Andre Da Costa (another player to look out for in the forthcoming season) netting a hat-trick and Aaron Morgan scoring the goals. The Hendon side included a number of trialists - Jamie Busby (who has taken a three year break from the game) and ex Bishop Stortford and W&F platyer Scott Shulton (who was with Hendon in 2012/13) returned to the club along with other trialists Melvin Minter (goalkeeper formerly with Hayes & Yeading United and Brentford U21s), Courtney Harris (23 year old midfielder who has been playing for Fulham), Jake Cass (centre forward who has played for AFC Hayes and East Thurrock United), Freddy Champion (21 year old midfielder who has been on the books of QPR and Spurs) and Melvin N'Somi (Harefield United).

Leiston played Ipswich Town u21s at Victory Road and won 1-0 with Darren Mills scoring the only goal of the game. Stiker Christy Finch made his debut for the home side - He scored 31 goals in 43 games for Division One (North) side Wroxham last season and has also played for Great Yarmouth Town and Gorleston. The Cold End expects to see Finch towards the top of the scoring charts in the Premier Division for this forthcoming season.

Needham Market played Colchester United u18s at Bloomfields. The game ended 3-3 with the home side's goals coming from Sam Newson (another player who I predict with score bundles of goals this season), Taylor Bannister and Regan Pelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment