Sunday 10 August 2014


For the neutral supporter and away fans among the crowd of 504 at Donkey Lane it was a highly entertaining game between Enfield Town and Kingstonian for the opening day of the Ryman League season yesterday afternoon.

For the Town fans it wasn't entirely a game to forget as George Borg's new look side showed in spells, where they had good possession of the ball, they will cause problems for many teams over the coming months. Town started well and were the better side and it looked even more brighter for them when K's central defender Matt Drage was sent off for a two footed tackle at Neil Cousins and Corey Whitely made it 1-0 all in the first fifteen minutes. The red card given was a brave decision by referee Gary Jerden so early on in the game (and season) but looking at the replay it was a challenge that saw Drage win the ball but also have two feet off the ground. It's the type of tackle that 10 years ago would of been okay but nowadays, more often than not, they result in sendings off as they are rated as dangerous.

The travelling band of K's fans went home happy yesterday!
With the score at 1-0 and Town in the ascendancy all looked good for the home side until the K's forward line of Elvis Hammond and Andre McCollin clicked into life and started to cause all sorts of problems and create good chances. McCollin, who many people rate as one (if not the best) forwards and players in the division, made it 1-1 with a rocket of a finish just inside the box following a corner kick and then Hammond had a great effort tipped onto the post by Nathan McDonald in the Town goal. Liam Hope could of made it 2-2 but his effort went over the bar with only the keeper to beat. Right on half time, from another corner, the K's made it 1-2 to the delight of their small band of loyal supporters behind the goal. For a team who finished runner's up in the league last season they don't tend not to take many fans away from home which is disappointing to see.

Town's new Assistant Manager Bradley Quinton instructs the team at half time
George Borg sent out the Town squad very earlier for the second half and Mark Kirby and Tyler Campbell replacing Neil Cousins and Jamie Pyper. This change looked to have done the trick as Kirby helped Whitely score his second to make it 2-2. The game could of gone either way for a little while but it was The K's who rarely looked like a team playing with ten men. They were very impressive breaking forward with pace, power and skill numerous times.

The K's front line of McCollin and Hammond were superb yesterday and will cause many Ryman Premier back lines problems all through the season. Add substitute Nathaniel Pinney into the mix and Kingstonian have a highly impressive attacking force for the 2014/15 campaign.  
K's celebrate their fourth goal.
A mix up at the back saw Stanley Muguo score an own goal and then Hammond made it 2-4 with a good finish. Substitute Nathaniel Pinney then showed some sublime footwork in the box to get past three Town players to cross for Tyrone Berry to make the final score 2-5.
A fantastic turn out from the Enfield Town Ultras and fans yesterday and despite the result the message was... George and Brad we trust!
 The Town will get it right over the next few weeks and it's going to be an amazing season.

Highlights of the game are below minus Elvis Hammond's fourth goal which I didn't capture on camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment