Sunday 17 March 2013


The Hawks welcomed The Stags at Barrows Farm on Friday evening as Harlow Town faced Waltham Forest in a Ryman Division One (North) game that was played in pretty horrilbe conditions with rain pouring down throughout.

The game was played on Friday night as part of a Ryman League experiment to see if attendances increase if games are played at this time. The crowd was announced as 122 which is roughly the figures Harlow have been getting in their home league games this season but the inclement weather and the fact Forest don't take many fans away from home should be taken into account.

I think many fans would welcome the occasional Friday night game and some clubs would as well. Any idea which attracts more fans and visitors to the grounds should be looked into?


This was 19th v 18th in the table with nothing much riding on the game as both sides are now all but safe from the threat of relegation.

It was a game of few chances but did have a few talking points

* Waltham Forest took the lead through a great finish from Jack Leachman on forty minutes. However the free kick awarded to The Stags that lead to the goal was rather harsh with many of the Harlow fans scratching their heads as to why Ben Hart was booked for his part in the incident. See from 1m 10secs on the video.

* The Stag's keeper Chico Ramos (ex of Leatherhead) made a fantastic save in the opening minutes of the second half. See from 2mins 2secs on the video.

* The Stag's Manny Sackey was very lucky to stay on the pitch after what appeared to be a two footed challenge on Harlow winger Mitchell Das in the second half. Sackey was booked after Das was stretchered off the field of play but it could (and maybe should) of been red. I think it was more clumsy than malicious. See from 3m 45s on the video. TheColdEnd (as all at Waltham Forest FC have done) sends best wishes to Mitchell who suffered a broken tibia and required surgery as a result.

With the game in injury time it was looking as though Forest would be travelling South on the M11 with all three points safely in the bag only for some late drama after for a great cross from Ben Hart to be met by Danny Brown on the far post to head to ball into the net (and set off the famous Harlow air raid siren!) to make the final score 1-1.


No comments:

Post a Comment