Tuesday 15 December 2009


On a very chilly night Town started versus Waltham Forest as they had done against Maldon Town on Saturday when a Michael Bardle deflected shot hit the right hand post which was unlucky not to make it 1-0.

Forest's goalkeeper Sam Tanner wore the number 33 on his back and decked out with tracksuit trousers on he had the appearance of an Eastern European stopper from the 1980's playing in the UEFA cup. In tonight's Baltic conditions it was certainly like playing somewhere like Russia or Poland in the middle of winter.

Town looked in a confident mood and it didn't take long for them to break the deadlock when Liam Hope received the ball on the edge of the box to pass to Ben Hammond on the right hand side to put a fabulous cross to Adam Wallace at the far post who couldn't miss and put the ball in the back of the net.

It was 2-0 shortly after when Paul Marks broke into the box wit the ball and was tackled from behind at the same time by Ryan Olivia and Pedro Knight, It wasn't a nasty foul but one of the two player's appeared to make contact with Marksy and not the ball with Referee Mr Evatts close by signalling for a penalty kick.

Rudi Hall placed the ball down on the spot with the referee whistling for it to be taken Forest keeper Sam Tanner decided to stand slightly off centre which is a bit of an understatement as he stood by his left hand post leaving Rudi with near enough the whole goal to aim at. Unsurprisingly Rudi's kick went in and it was all good at 2-0.

It was 3-0 when Sam Byfield's high looping corner from the right hand side looked like it was going in the top corner of the goal anyway with Tanner helping it in by palming it for good measure.

So far so good with The Stags unable to get forward due to Town's adventurous forward play. This changed towards the end of the half as the away side got going up front with Peter Smith's hard and low shot on target being well saved by Rob putting the ball over the bar from close range. Danny Gabriel nicked the ball past Rob with the outside of his boot but fortunately around the goal as well with Robert Carter also having a shot off target.


Forest started where they had left off in the second half when they hit the cross-bar from close range and had a goal ruled out for being off-side. Steve Newing on the Enfield bench made his feelings known towards the team at this point.

It seemed to do the trick as somewhat against the run of play Town made it 4-0 when Adam Wallace squared the ball over from the right-hand side to Sam Byfield just inside to the centre of the penalty box whose shot went past Tanner in the Forest goal.

Des Thomas then left the field to be replaced by Andre Humphrey-Modeste for the away side. Thomas has had better days at Goldsdown Road as he is famous for once scoring a hat-trick of penalties for Stanstead against Town on 30th October 2001 in the ESL.

Humphrey-Modeste seemed to add some spark to Forest's play and they probably played the better football in the last 10 or 15 minutes in what was a disjointed period due to a raft of substitutions by both sides.

Town had good chances with Byfield stinging the Hands of Tanner with a good shot, Mark Kirby had a good header in front of goal which went high and wide and Adam Wallace had a goal ruled offside.

Forest threatened to make the game competitive with two late goals from Robert Carter and Danny Gabriel but eventually ran out of time with Town the team deserving of a victory.


Enfield have now scored four goals in each of their last three league games which is really good going. The cold end sends congratulations out to the team on another great hard working team performance!!!

The cold end MOM was Adam Wallace for his effort, hard work and commitment shown contributing with one goal and one assist. Ben Hammond was brilliant in the first half as was Rudi Hall throughout the game. Rudi seems to be more disciplined than in years gone by and is back to his best forming a good partnership at the heart of the midfield with Paul Marks. Sam Byfield also had a good game and looks a danger of the left hand side.

Blackburne, Blower, Bardle, Smith, Kirby, Marks (Moore), Hammond (Valenti), Hall, Hope, Wallace (Lockie), Byfield
Subs not used - Turner and Bonfield.


As predicted in the cold end's midweek preview East Thurrock United beat Heybridge Swifts at home by 3-1, Thamesmead Town won a close battle with Concord Rangers 2-1 and Ware got a good 2-2 draw at home to Lowestoft Town who had to rely on a late equaliser to take a share of the points. Northwood went down 0-5 at home to Carshalton Athletic in the FA Trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment