Saturday 7 November 2009


Mauritius Sports 0 Bethnal Green United 6

 I was gutted today as I missed the Town game. I had been working close to the home of London 2012 and finished at just before 2pm which I thought was more than enough time to get across the A406 to Finchley. NO SUCH LUCK!!! 

The North Circular Road was gridlocked from the Waterworks roundabout just about moving at a snail pace probably due to the Spurs traffic. Knowing I was never going to make it I turned off at The Crooked Billet and made my way to Wadham Lodge to watch the Essex Senior League match between Mauritius Sports Association UK and Bethnal Green United. At least I'll have watched some football but sadly not ETFC. I'm glad I missed the Town match as we went down 4-2 (were 4-1 down at one point) our goals coming from Paul Marks and Fabio Valenti. Reports back to the cold end suggest W&F were much the better team and deserved their win.

In the game at Wadham Lodge Mauritius who have just lost their manager and are rock bottom of the league and without a win took on Bethnal Green who are having a storming debut season, This comfortable win taking them into 2nd place behind table toppers Burnham Ramblers (who incidentally are the only team that Mauritius have taken a point off of this season) It was the first time I had seen an ESL match since Town left the league in 2005, It brought back some good memories looking at the Essex Senior League Centre Spot insert in the programme. BGU who as stated have taken to life two steps up from the Middlesex County League Premier Division played some really good football. The cold end was particularly impressed by the front pairing of (I think) Amos Foyewn and Anton Stephenson. The away side controlled the first half with authority and went in at the break 3-0 up. Mauritius only had one shot (off target) in the first half. BGU took the lead through a marvellous free-kick from Stephenson (see below) and the same player added a second when a free kick into the box was headed home from the edge of the six yard box (see below). It was 3-0 just before half time when after some great work by Foyewn the ball was chipped over the keeper into the net. The second half wasn't as one sided as the first and Mauritius showed some signs that they are not as bad as their league position says they are. A few shots off target with nothing to trouble the Bethnal keeper. BGU took a four goal lead just after the break and ran in two more goals just before the final whistle to make it a 6-0 final score. The attendance was 24 people which equalled the home side's record for the season and took their aggregate in 5 home games to 88 people. Overall, An enjoyable game if not a little one-sided. Bethnal Green look a strong side and will up at the top of the ESL challenging for the Championship that was once held by ETFC. The cold end is unaware if they will apply for promotion should they win the league or if their Mile End Stadium is currently up to scratch regarding ground grading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment