Tuesday 13 October 2009


Enfield Town 3 Ware 2
Ryman Division One (North)

Full marks go to the Ware player coming off the pitch after the warm up whilst some of his team-mates were still kicking around in the cold end goalmouth...."Would the Ware player's stop playing in the goalmouth at the far end please" went the PA announcement..."Don't worry mate there's no chance of that happening"... There's confidence for you...but how wrong he was as Ware raced into a shock 2-0 lead in the opening 15 minutes.

The first was a defensive mix-up and a very soft goal to concede with the second coming from a sweetly struck shot from outside of the box which Rob Blackburne could only parry into the stride of the Ware forward who made it 2-0...The mood and the atmosphere was very gloomy as the smoke from a near-by resident's pre-November 5th bonfire drifted across Goldsdown Road.

Town got back into the match thanks to a very big helping hand from the assistant referee who after Ware centre back Danny Wolf tackled Stuart Blackburne in the box looking like he won the ball the assistant flagged for a penalty kick to be given. Stuart did go down and didn't dive so it appears Danny did touch him but he won the ball too so most people watching would not of given a penalty. I have to say great credit to the Ware players who did contest the decision for a little while but then resigned themselves to the fact it had been given. Up stepped penalty specialist Rudi Hall to make it 1-2 and Town were back in the match.

Once again Gunz and particularly Staurt were full of running up front with Rudi playing well in midfield with Fabio Valenti probably playing his best game from the left side of midfield yet.

It was Fabio who got the assist for the equalising goal. His brilliant cross into the box from the touchline on the left hand side was expertly dispatched on the volley by Gunz to the delight of the Town fans. Special mention must go to WHINGING FAN who this time last week was shouting "DO SOMETHING WALLACE!!!" and constantly barracking Adam in our game versus Romford...well surprise surprise who was cheering when Adam scored what has to be considered as the goal of the season so far! It didn't last too long though as in the 2nd half WHINGING FAN started whinging again...the cold end thinks he's not even worth talking about.

So the half time score was all square with Town on top for all but those disastrous opening 15 minutes or so... Much of the talk at half-time amongst the travelling Ware supporters was of Danny's excellent challenge and the assistant referee making a big mistake. Those that had travelled the short distance down the A10 this evening were much smaller in number than Ware usually bring, I counted 10 hardy souls behind the cold end goal where Ware were attacking in the 2nd half with some others dotted about around the ground.

Town were much the better team in the 2nd hald with Paul Marks replacing Jonah early on as the later had taken a knock at the end of the 1st half. Fabio was having a great match and put a lovely ball through to Stuart Blackburne who was cynically fouled by the Ware right back just outside the box. The referee showed a brief flash of red when getting his pocket book out but booked the player which looking back was the right decision.

Fabio made the 3rd and final Town goal of the night when his corner to Rudi on the edge of the box who passed the ball back to Fabio whose hanging cross from the left was met by the head of Chris Wild whose header looped over the Ware goal keeper into the back of the net to much celebration behind the goal. It was good to see all the players come together to engulf Chris celebrating the goal. It shows what a good team-spirit Steven Newing and Del Deanus have instilled into the Town team this year when after going 2-0 down they fought back to a 3-2 win. This time last year that would of never have happened.

Town stayed solid and Ware never really threatened Rob Blackburne's goal again.

Final score - 3-2.

TOTE MOM was announced as Adam Wallace which was a good decision although the cold end also thought Rudi Hall, Stuart Blackburne (as usual) and in particular Fabio Valenti had great games too.

Lets hope the team can play even better next Saturday and not have a nightmare opening 10 minutes again to get us through to the next round of the Trophy!

Well done to all the players tonight.

Town's league record is now looking very healthy being P 9 W 5 D 3 L 1 GF 16 GF 11 PTS 18 with us sitting just outside of the play-off zone.
The only other teams to have lost only one game are new table toppers Concord Rangers after their demolition of Romford and Lowestoft Town who Ranger's knocked off the top due to the Suffolk club not playing because of their cup replay.



No comments:

Post a Comment